Years 1 - 6
Sue Davis, G.A.T.E.ways
This game was invented by a bright five year old in Sue's G.A.T.E.ways class. You are invited to explore it with your class and send us a report. G.A.T.E.ways is an independent organisation extending the education of children nominated as 'brighter'. You can read more about Sue's Poly Plug experiences in this article.
This page would be more informative
with a photo from your classroom.
|Start with a red board which has two empty spaces as shown.
- Two players sit opposite each other across the board.
- Each player owns an empty space (a hole) and the objective is to be first to
move it to the opponent's starting point.
- Moves are made by removing another plug and placing it in the
current hole. In effect, therefore, the hole moves across the
- Holes can only move forward or sideways - never back.
- Holes can only move one vertical, horizontal or diagonal space
from their current position on each turn.
Calculating Changes ... is a division of ... Mathematics Centre